Ian, Evan & Alexander currently seeks a Justice Sector Program Advisor to join our team in Washington, DC!
The Justice Sector Program Advisor assists with programmatic development and oversight to the INL/AP Justice Team. The Justice Sector Program Advisor will organize and participate in meetings, seminars and exercises to develop plans and programs for implementation of judicial
sector assistance, and provide other general programmatic support to further the Justice Team programs, including drafting, briefing, and research.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and maintain comprehensive knowledge of issues related to Afghanistan’s justice sector with a particular focus on criminal justice, human rights standards, national security, gender initiatives, and legal education.
- Coordinates with INL/AP and INL/Kabul to advise on strategic planning in the justice sector, including advice regarding developing new initiatives and advice in reviewing programs for compliance with U.S. and Afghan law and effectiveness in relation to the goals of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GIRoA).
- Advises INL/Kabul and INL/AP on specific aspects of planning and implementation of justice reform programs in Afghanistan.
- Assists in the oversight, monitoring, reporting, coordination, and assessment of INL programs to ensure deliverables and foreign assistance priorities set by the Department of State are being fulfilled.
- Fosters interagency cooperation, including helping coordinate work between the U.S. military, USAID, DOJ, and INL.
- Supports the development and maintenance of relationships with members of the rule of law reform community, non-governmental organizations, and the policy community.
- Participates in outreach activities with domestic and international rule of law communities to increase awareness of INL programs and policies and solicit greater cooperation and participation.
- Advises in the deployment of programmatic initiatives targeted at reducing corruption across all community sectors, including justice, while advocating principles of good governance and reform.
- Advises on the management and oversight of programs to advance gender justice,
- including grants to Afghan women’s shelters, legal aid, access to justice organizations, and civil society.
- Ensures that INL/AP and the INL Front Office receives timely information and reporting to ensure that Senior Department, Interagency, and budget briefings are fully informed of developments on the ground.
- Prepares background materials and reports used by the INL/Kabul and INL/AP Leadership in preparing reports, speeches, briefings, and testimony to articulate INL engagement on justice sector reform in Afghanistan.
- Assists with designing, developing, and writing contract and grant solicitations, bilateral letters of agreement, and budget plans.
- Perform the duties and responsibilities listed above to other teams in INL/AP, as assigned by the INL/AP Director and Deputy Director.