Ian, Evan & Alexander Corporation (IEA) is in search of a Senior Corrections Advisor to support the INL/CAP, Washington, DC.
The SCA serves as the corrections systems development expert on a full range of prison/corrections issues with a primary concentration on countries in Africa where the INL Office of Africa and Middle East Programs (INL/AME) works.
The SCA will provide technical corrections expertise in a wide variety of settings including internal department and bureau, U.S. Embassy, multi-national, and host-nation counterpart meetings, to assist the Bureau and its offices in reaching their stated goals and objectives. The SCA will provide expertise in a variety of areas, to include technical assistance, outreach, contingency planning and development, training and equipment needs and program monitoring
and evaluation. S/he will serve as a resource to the Bureau, U.S. embassies, INL overseas operations, INL-funded implementers in the corrections sector, bringing together expertise from the United States, as well as other countries having innovative corrections projects and programs that could be considered by host governments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as one of INL’s senior corrections experts and the primary expert for INL/AME Africa programs.
- Assist in developing and coordinating corrections programs in concert with other U.S. government, international, and host nation law enforcement and criminal justice programs.
- Advise Bureau and host nation corrections officials from Africa, and on occasion other countries, on specific aspects of planning and implementation of new and ongoing corrections assistance programs, including the conducting of assessments, program design and review trips, and evaluations.
- Help coordinate program activities involving other INL and contractor corrections advisors deployed to various countries particularly in Africa, as well as the relevant INL program officer.
- Provide analysis and technical expertise to the Bureau, U.S. embassies and host nation officials on all aspects of corrections matters, addressing any number of issues related to corrections system reform (to include human rights issues related to prisoner incarceration; security operations; training programs and academies; prisoner classification; strategic planning; prisoner programs; prisoner transportation; support services, such as food service and medical services; budgeting; development of correctional capacities and institutions; refurbishment and/or construction of correctional facilities; community corrections programs, including alternatives to incarceration; juvenile corrections.)
- Help develop or adjust corrections related training plans and curricula as necessary to ensure the most effective delivery of the program.
- Organize and participate in meetings, seminars and exercises to develop plans/programs for implementation of corrections assistance in targeted countries and improve overall capacities to effectively modernize existing institutions in close consultation with the relevant INL program officer.
- Assist in preparing background material and reports to articulate INL engagement on corrections reform aspects in targeted countries as well as on technical corrections issues.
- Assist in preparing desk reports, assessments, and trip reports in accordance with office policies and at the request of the relevant INL program officer.
- Participates in outreach activities with domestic and international corrections communities to increase awareness of INL programs and policies and solicit greater cooperation and participation, which can include attending domestic and international conferences on international corrections issues.
- Review and provide technical advice on documents such as corrections workplans or proposals.
- Liaise with U.S. based corrections partners to assist with identifying and arranging expertise on behalf of INL programs.
- Assist with the identification of corrections personnel who may be suitable for INL corrections programs.
- Participate in INL/CAP and INL/AME office meetings, including regularly occurring meetings.